Happy Holidays

Christmas time can be great as it’s the time of year where everyone can come together and relax for a day. For the health conscious person, it can be stressful with all that sugar on offer. Sometimes we can end up eating a months worth of treats in one go! But don’t stress. There is a thing called the 10% rule which basically means, what you do 10% of the time really doesn’t matter, it’s what you do the other 90% of the time that really counts. Christmas definitely fits that description especially with my (not so) health conscious family!

What I thought I would do today is give you a few recipes I found that are healthy versions of Christmas deserts that you can try out. They look and sound lovely. I will definitely be trying one or two of them out myself.

 

Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies

Ingredients

10 medjool dates, pitted

1/3 cup coconut oil

2 eggs

1 tablespoon molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ cup almond meal

¼ cup cacao powder

2 tablespoons coconut flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

2/3 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks

 

Preheat oven to 180°C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Add dates to a food processor with a teaspoon of water and process for 30 seconds or until smooth.

Add date coconut oil, eggs, molasses, and vanilla extract to food processor and pulse until smooth.

In a small bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (almond flour/meal through cloves). Add dry ingredients to the date mixture and process mixture until well combined, scraping the bowl as needed. Stir in melted dark chocolate.

Spoon tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Leave at least an inch and half of room for the cookies to spread.

Bake 8-10 minutes until puffy. The cookies will be soft but will harden slightly when cooled. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes before removing. Release the cookies from the pan with a spatula.

These cookies are best kept in the refrigerator (if not eaten right away) or they freeze well.

Makes 15 to 18 cookies

 

Gluten free brownies

Ingredients

4 oz of an unsweetened chocolate baking bar

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup oil

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup coconut flour

1/2 cup coconut milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 180°C.

Melt butter and chocolate.

Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix with a spoon or spatula.

Bake for 28-30 minutes.

Cool in fridge.

 

Coconut Macaroons

Ingredients

2 large egg whites

¼ cup honey

¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt

2 ½ cups coconut flakes

 

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and honey with a fork

Briefly whisk in salt, then stir in coconut flakes

Place bowl in fridge to chill for ½ hour

Fill a 2 tablespoon scoop with batter, so it’s heaping full

Using your hand, firmly pack batter into scoop so it is level

Release batter onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet

Bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes, until macaroons are golden brown

Cool for 1 hour and serve

Makes roughly 8

Let me know what you think of these and have a very merry Christmas/holiday season

Run Well

Chris O’Driscoll

 

Leave A Reply (No comments so far)

No comments yet

 Sign Up To Brewsters Running Now To Get Your Free Copy Of Our Stretching For Runners Video

Email Marketing by AWeber