When you are really hungry, do you sit there and think about eating or do you get up and go to the kitchen?
Sounds like a pretty dumb question, doesn’t it?
Have you ever taken the time to ponder how many things in your life you are wanting but not really moving towards? What is the difference that will get you from where you are to where you want to be?
If you are currently HERE, but want to be THERE, you need a strategy.
This goes for everything in life and it’s the difference between making a wish and setting a goal. The key component that turns the wish into a goal (and eventually a reality) is the strategy that makes it happen.
Regardless of your goal being an exercise one, and weight loss one, a relationship one, a career one or any goal you can dream up, there needs to be a very clear and actionable strategy.
Using a running goal as an example – If your goal is to run a PB in your next race, one way to create an effective strategy is to employ the S.M.A.R.T principles.
1) Is your goal Specific? – Have you set an exact finishing time goal?
2) Is your goal Measurable? – You can measure your progress through your training by recording times and tracking improvement. You can measure your finishing time.
3) Is your goal Attainable? – Are there any real barriers to you participating in the race? Do you have the time to train and is the “WANT” strong enough?
4) Is your goal Realistic? – Is the finishing time you are aiming for a realistic one? More importantly, do you have the tools to get you there… i.e. do you have a well planned training program and/or a coach to guide you? Have you made the training a priority and worked it into your schedule?
5) Is your goal Timely? – Have you allowed an appropriate period of time to prepare for it? Will your preparations cut into time you need for other things and are you willing to give up time you may otherwise dedicate elsewhere?
These are all questions that will help you develop the strategy that will get you to your goal.
Just remember that doing nothing is a strategy too. The outcome of course is that you will go nowhere.
The best way to sum this up is with the definition of Insanity… “Doing the same thing you have always done but expecting a different result”.
The beautiful thing about all this is that you can achieve just about anything you want in life, the only thing you need is to create and then action the right strategy. The other fantastic thing is that you don’t necessarily even need to work out the strategy for yourself; as chances are that there is someone that has already done it. You may just need to be willing to ask the right questions.
Dream – Plan – Act – Achieve!